Author Topic: Travelling from Managua Airport to Granada  (Read 16746 times)

shimmercake

Travelling from Managua Airport to Granada
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:14:51 pm »
Hi,

Is it relatively safe to travel by taxi or hotel-arranged transportation from the airport in Mangua to Granada? I was reading the Nicaragua travel report from the US Department of State and they recommend to completely avoid travelling at night from city to city. But it seems like the ride to Granada would be safe since it isn't very far from Managua.

quentin

Re: Travelling from Managua Airport to Granada
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:06:27 pm »
About a year ago I flew into Managua at night, and took pre-arranged private transfer straight to Granada.  I would personally have no concern doing the same thing again.  There are definitely questionabl areas of Managua that I would not visit at night, even in a car.  But I saw nothing between the airport and Granada that gave me any concern.

Private transfer was kind of pricey, though.  For my next trip, which will hopefully be very soon, I plan to use this service instead:

http://www.paxeos.com/

Check out their "about us" section:

http://006eb97.netsolhost.com/about.htm

I think there are some other similar transfer services.

Joshua Berman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • joshuaberman.net
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:37:43 am »
Department of State reports are very conservative. In general, the no-driving at night rule is a good one, but airport shuttle is an exception, should be fine -- it's unfortunate that so many American flights get in so late, but Granada is not far and the vehicles (Paxeos, linked above) are big and sturdy.

shimmercake

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:34:13 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance and the tips. I will check out the Paxeos website!

emhenry

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:36 pm »
what about getting into town (Managua) from the airport? I don't see PAXOS offering that service. Any suggestions?  Thanks.

arambigua

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:48:28 am »
hi,

direct in front of the exit of the airport are red official taxis are waiting (the drivers also are wearing red shirts), they don't pick up any other person during your trip into town and they are not too expensive (about 15-18US$ into the center, the price is for the taxi, not for each person!). They are safe and don't drive through bad areas and the car is in a good condition. They know the most hotels - even the most frequent ones.

Have a good time, arambigua

erik nelson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:10 am »
Do you really need to fly into Managua at night?  The only good thing I'll say about Managua, epecially at night, it that it's a fine place to test your faith in God.
For me it was cheaper to fly into San Jose, Costa Rica, and backtrack.
"A wise man once said nothing."

jimwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:27:22 pm »
Why in the world would you fly into San Jose, to avoid Managua at night. Managua is not my most favorite city, but take the normal precautions and you will be fine. Frankly I have had more uncomforable experiences in San Jose than Managua. As everywhere, tune in to what is going on, don't take unnecessary chances and be safe.

erik nelson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:52 pm »
I didn't fly to San José to avoid Managua by night.  For me, flying from Toronto, it was several hundred dollars cheaper to fly to Costa Rica and backtrack.  Also San José is a great city for shopping, as the best stores and markets are along a crowded and busy pedestrian mall.  There are police everywhere specifically assigned to watch over tourists.  Managua is simply a nightmare sprawl and you're on your own there.  I warn every tourist I meet here in Nicaragua, and have yet to find one who hadn't already heard what Managua is like. 
"A wise man once said nothing."

kevins

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:42:33 pm »
It's pretty easy to avoid the bad parts of Managua. Yes, parts can be dangerous, like any large city, including San Jose.

We used Paxeos to get from Granada to SJdS, and they did a fine job. For a night drive between MGA and Granada, my first choice would be an unmarked private vehicle. Just to avoid getting targeted as a tourist. But I would be willing to do the trip in a taxi or tourist van too.

If you are too concerned about the night drive, you could always just stay at the Best Western right across the street from the airport. They'll even come pick you up so you don't have to walk across the street.

chatwari

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:52:07 am »
We were robbed at gunpoint travelling at night in a Paxeos shuttle from the airport to Granada in July of 08.  There were 9 norteamericanos in the Paxeos van, including young children.  I no longer travel at night, and would emphasize this rule for travelling in a van full of gringos fresh from the US with all their cash and goodies.  I recently heard that several other groups of tourists have been robbed on the same road (Tipitapa cut off) traveling from the airport to Granada at night.  Cuidado.

Joshua Berman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • joshuaberman.net
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:38 am »
Wow, that is horrible, chatwari. We've heard a few stories too and we mention this hazard in the new edition.

Randall Wood

• Host and Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.therandymon.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 11:29:39 am »
wow - definitely not cool.  The US State Dept. now warns against that road at night, so you are clearly not alone.  Glad everybody is alright.

Perhaps the trick is to spend the night in Managua and travel to Granada in the morning.
Check out my new book: The Dictator's Handbook: a practical manual for the aspiring tyrant www.dictatorshandbook.net

queque

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 11:40:57 am »
Hi Chatwari:
Sorry to learn what happened to you. At that time I also heard of several tourist transportation buses or vans that were robbed in the areas nearby Masaya and the entrance of Laguna de Apoyo. Seems to me, for what I read in the papers, that there was a band that customized themselves with police uniforms and got away with a few robberies, but were captured afterwards. Anyways, I took Paxeos recently from the airport to San Juan del Sur at night and noticed their vans now run unmarked and they dis not use the Tipitapa road, but instead went by Managua. At first I was not happy but they said they´re not using Tipitapa at night any more.